Salmon with Basil Romesco Sauce

ng_salmon1Hot salmon is topped with an uncooked, refreshingly cool sauce made from basil, tomatoes, garlic pine nuts, and a dash of vinegar and oil. It is the perfect dish for a hot summer evening. I love how fast and easy it is to make. The sauce reminds me just a bit of a pesto sauce with fresh tomatoes added to it. Very yummy. Romesco sauce is a spanish sauce, I believe, and this is my un-traditional take on it.

This is the dish that I featured in my post, Keeping a Feast day. It is an example of how “feast” day can be quite simple! We got our salmon from a local fisher at the farmer’s market. It was thin, and beautiful. We made it that night for dinner and all of us enjoyed it. It makes my mouth water to think about it!

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Salmon with Basil Romesco Sauce Serves Two

We find that 1/2 a pound of salmon serves my husband and I and my two year old. But you could certainly up the recipe for more hearty eaters. You can very easily double or triple the sauce amount. Don’t be afraid to play around with the recipe as it’s very forgiving.

1/2 pound salmon fillet
    A little olive oil and salt and pepper

2 roma tomatoes
    1 garlic clove, peeled
    sea salt and pepper
    small handful of basil leaves
    3 tablespoon pine nuts
    1 tablespoon each of balsamic vinegar and olive oil

1-To cook your salmon you can follow many simple techniques. You can broil is like I did the cod in this recipe. Or you could grill it using directions like these. . I simply drizzled a little olive oil over the top, sprinkled a little salt and pepper over that, and put it in a preheated oven of 400 and cooked for 12 minutes, or until just done. Our fillet was very thin. If you had a thick one, cook longer. Fish is done at 137 degrees F, but once the flesh is more firm and flakes easily, it’s done.

2-While you cook your fish, make the sauce. Place chopped tomatoes, pine nuts and garlic in food processor, pulse until coarsely ground up. Add pepper, salt, vinegar and oil and basil. Pulse until basil is minced . Top cook fish with sauce and enjoy (But watch out for the small fish bones while you eat! You may want to remove them before saucing it).

So very simple and easy but so yummy! How you can go wrong?

Comments

1. debbie says

Mmm… this sounds fabulous! I’ve been doing pretty well at serving fish once a week and I’m all about new and creative ways to dress it up. Thank you for sharing!

2. Christy says

Thanks for a great new recipe! I’m always looking for new ways to serve fish. I’ll have to put it in next week’s meal plan.

What a lovely recipe. It seems so very fresh. We eat a good deal of salmon – as much as we can afford. My standby is misoyaki salmon (grilled salmon slathered with miso) but this seems like a really nice, summery alternative.

Completely off-topic (although I am kind of wanting to try salmon…alas for the budget. Maybe somebody will make it when I visit some time.), but I have been enlightened as to the wonders of yogurt cheese. My cheese isn’t even done yet, but I know it’s going to be good! How do I know this?? In spite of the fact that “I don’t even like yogurt”, as I was opening my monstrous tub of whole-milk, cream-still-on-the-top yogurt that I’d bought for this kooky yogurt cheese experiment, I got a bit on my hand and licked it off (so sanitary, I know.) Folks, the yogurt cheese almost bit it right there. I’m not even kidding. I would’ve called the whole experiment off and eaten the yogurt straight out of that ginormous tub had I not suspected that the cheese will be even better. So, now, I’m going to have “roughly 18 ounces” of delicious cheesiness, plus about 12 ounces of whey (for my oatmeal, the soaked breakfast wonder that Kimi introduced me to), all for the price of one 8 ounce brick of Philadelphia cream cheese. Woo hoo!!

Edible Aria Makes Cheese (and Other Yumminess)

5. Heather Wormsley says

Just tried this over our broiled 1.5 lb salmon fillet– outstanding! Thanks again Kimi, for yet another winner.

Yum! This sauce sounds fantastic! These are all ingredients I usually keep stocked in my kitchen. The tomatoes and basil we have growing in our garden. I love simple dinners like this. -Ali :)

7. Elisha says

Thank you for this recipe. I made this dish last summer a number of times and used heirloom tomatoes from the farmers market, instead of roma. Amazing! It is also delicious chilled for a gourmet picnic.

Thank you so much for this delicious recipe. I absolutely loved the sauce that went with this dish — I’ll be using it to marinate chicken, and as a quick fresh pasta topper!