Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce

ng_spaghetti
This do ahead sauce is perfect for busy weekends, weekdays, and for serving crowds. Because it’s long simmered, the flavors have plenty of time to meld together, creating a delicious meal when served over noodles. I love how easy it is to throw together!

ng_feast

My husband’s birthday party went really well last week, and this is what I served all of the hungry guys. It seemed to go over really well. I told my husband that this was the only way to make six dollars worth of meat stretch to feed 14 people!  I served it over homemade soaked pasta, homemade breadsticks, a big salad with everyday dressing, and my most favorite chocolate dessert (come to this blog soon!).   Yum, thinking about that feast makes me hungry!

This pasta sauce is actually my mothers, so I can’t take credit for it. It’s definitely an all-american style pasta sauce by the way! Yummy.

I doubled it to serve my crowd, which filled my large crockpot with sauce.

ng_spaghetti2

Long Simmered Spaghetti Sauce -Make 8 generous servings
You May need to add more salt. Most tomato products are already salted, but I used unsalted and it definitely need a bit more salt.

1/2 pound Ground beef
    1/2 pound ground Mild Italian Sausage (or another 1/2 a pound of beef)
    1 large onion, peeled and chopped
    1-2 garlic cloves
    1 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes
    1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
    1 6 ounce can tomato paste
    1 cup of beef broth
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet, brown the beef and sausage over med-high heat with the onion and garlic until cooked through. Drain off any grease. Combine in a slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients and turn on low. Cook for 6-8 hours.

This post is part of Lindsay’s Nourishing Crockpot Carnival

KimiHarris

Comments

I’ve been meaning to ask you, what type of wheat should be used in the soaked pasta? I have soft white and hard red. I keep resorting to store-bought pasta but I’d really like to try out your recipe one of these days.

Looks yummy! I just found out that two of my boys are allergic to tomatoes, though. What am I going to do without my old faithful speghetti in my recipe arsenal??

3. Sunny says

Hey,
    Do you know Lynne Brown? The reason I ask is the bowls in your picture above look like her work. My family knows Lynne fairly well.

4. KimiHarris says

Lindsey,

I’ve used hard winter wheat, spelt and kamut with great success. The spelt needed a little less water, and the kamut a little more.

Johanna,

I haven’t tried it myself, but some people make “mock” tomato sauces, colored with beets, flavored with vinegar and with cooked squash for texture. They claim it’s pretty good…….haven’t tried it though. :-)

For those with tomato allergies — I have three happy words for you:
      “roasted red peppers.” They make lovely sweet and mellow sauces and you can make them spicy like arrabiattas or rich herbs and cream. Also make great pestos.

5. KimiHarris says

Sunny,

How fun! We don’t know the potter, but love her work! I buy it at a little place down at the Oregon coast. Tell her thanks from us for her beautiful pottery. :-)

6. Heather says

Hi!
    I’m very new to the process of tradition cooking, so new that I haven’t tried anything yet–I’m just trying to get started researching recipes for my trips to the store. This looks very good, both my husband and I love pasta–does the beef broth give it a more beefy taste, or is the flavor of the tomato more prevalent? Also, about your pasta recipe–can you use regular whole wheat flour (Pillsbury brand?) Your website is great!
    Thanks!
    Heather

7. KimiHarris says

Heather,

The beef flavor it subtle and yes, you can use regular whole wheat flour for the pasta recipe. :-) Hope that helps.

Sunny,

Thanks for the link! I checked it out. I just love her stuff.

8. Jennifer B says

Hi Kimi,
    Just stumbled across your site and I love it. Can you substitute whey instead of the apple cider vinegar for soaking in the noodle recipe? I have lots of whey (kefir gone a bit too far) and need to use it up.
    Thank you!
    Jennifer

9. Magda says

I haven’t posted here before (I don’t think) but I’m a fan of your blog. I have to pick and choose which recipes to use since I’m gluten and dairy-free.
    Here is a link to a recipe for tomato-free pizza sauce (I’m sure it can be used for pasta as well, though the thickness may have to be adjusted. This is a great site by the way for anyone with multiple food allergies: http://www.tfrecipes.com/):
    Tomato-Free Pizza Sauce- GFCF
    2 1/2 cups steamed carrots
    1/3 C steamed beets
    2/3 C water
    3 Tbs lemon juice
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 Tbs basil
    1/8 tsp oregano
    3/4 C chopped, cooked onions
    1 clove garlic, pressed

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Best if allowed to sit in fridge for 24 hours before using.

10. Gia says

For soaking the noodles can you do without the apple cider or lemon juice? Or just use plain vinegar? Really want to try eggless noodles but of course I don’t have the proper stuff today.

11. KimiHarris says

Jennifer and Gia,

You can use whey, or just plain vinegar. :-)

Magda,

Thanks for sharing the tomato free recipe! Sounds good.

12. Lanise says

I just saw a 30 minute meal (Rachel Ray) that highlighted a pasta sauce made with roasted red peppers. I don’t remember if there were tomatoes in it or not, but I’m sure you could just leave them out. Just google the recipe or look on her website and I’m sure you’ll find it. Thanks for the recipe btw. I’m going to try it tonight.

I have never tried making spaghetti sauce in my crock pot. The ingredients you use are very similar to mine. This is a great idea and I’m going to give it a try this weekend. Thanks. I have a website where I sell small appliances and post crock pot recipes. May I use your recipes and send my customers to your blog.
    Sherry
    “The Electric Kitchen”

Thank you for this recipe! I was just thinking I need to find a good spaghetti sauce recipe that I can make a huge batch of and then freeze! Sometimes the purchased ones just have funky ingredients I don’t want to eat, and the flavor is not the best.

my mom made this sauce last night – minus the meat but with turkey meatballs instead. it was delicious!! served over brown rice pasta with green salad on the side. the leftovers are great too!

16. connie says

Thanks for the recipe! Do you know how long this will keep in a jar in the fridge? (So I can stop buying the jarred sauce but still have some on hand at all times).