$5 Dish: Cherry Clafouti (Soaked Grain and Dairy Free)

ng_cherryclafouti
Bright cherries grace a rich custard like batter for a delicious dessert that is easy on the pocketbook but beautiful and satisfying. Gourmet food at it’s best!

This is version two of cherry clafouti! Some of you were asking for a more traditional clafouti and here it is!

My husband and I were trying to decide which version we liked better, this one, or the coconut flour one. We decided we like both of them a lot, but I think we may lean towards liking this one the best because the custardy texture is so nice. I, by the way, thought it was a little too sweet, but of course, my husband didn’t think so! If I was making it for myself, I would cut back the sweetener just a bit. But he likes desserts nice and sweet.

Some of you were asking if you could use other fruit in this dessert. Definitely! I plan on doing this dessert with many varieties of fruits. Let us know if you try anything new and how it came out!

Cost Analysis

1/2 cup of honey-.88 cents
Cherries-(free for us) 1.50
3 eggs-1 dollar (.50 cents for us)
Extracts-.75 cents
Coconut milk tonic. .50
Flour .25 (at most)
Apple Cider Vinegar, .10

Our Cost: $2.90, Average Cost: $4.90

ng_cherryclafouti2

Cherry Clafouti

1 cup of coconut milk tonic (2 1/2 cups of water mixed with a 14 ounce premium coconut milk can makes coconut milk tonic)
    1/2 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
    1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar

The night before mix the above ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and leave out on the counter top overnight.

2 cups of pitted cherries (I simply cut the cherries in halves, and remove pits)
    1/2 cup of mild honey (softened if needed)
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 teaspoon almond extract>/u>

Grease a nine inch pie pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place pitted cherries in pie pan.

Add the rest of the ingredients to the soaked ingredients in the bowl and mix well.

Pour over the top of the cherries and place in hot oven. Cook for 40-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when stuck in the middle of the cake. Take out of the oven and allow to cool (this custard like cake will need to set a bit before you cut it). You will notice that it will “deflate” as it cools as well. Don’t worry, that’s normal!

Enjoy!

Comments

1. tina says

Looks fabulous!

Can I use regular whole wheat flour instead of whole wheat pastry flour? I’m not much of a baker so I don’t know the difference. Thanks!

2. KimiHarris says

Tina,

Pastry is better because it doesn’t contain as much gluten and so won’t develop into a stiff batter. But because there is not little flour in this dish anyways, I bet you could get away with regular flour with good results. πŸ™‚

3. CoconutGal says

Kimi, I really like that you did a cost analysis, it shows that making our own food, rather a treat or entree, saves money. Quite a bit! And you know exactly what’s in it too. These clafouti’s are really pretty. I’ve never had one before… I’m going to do some experimenting and try and come up with a version I can eat.
    I’m also experimenting with different sweeteners. Right now I use stevia and agave. What are your thoughts on stevia? Also, where do you purchase your raw honey, coconut and palm sugar?
    Thank you and have a lovely monday!

4. CoconutGal says

Oh I wish there was an edit button on comments! I meant to say that making our own food, whether a treat or entree, saves money.

5. tina says

Coconutgal,

I’m not sure where Kimi gets her raw honey but I get mine from my local health food store. The brand name is Really Raw Honey and is pesticide free. I know you can get it online too. I get a 2lb 10 oz jar for $24. It’s the best tasting stuff ever!

look for raw honey that is local to you! here in MN i get honey from Ames farm, i think with honey, and really any food, it’s great to buy local. the bees pick up local pollen and i have even heard that it can help seasonal allergies if you eat honey from your area. Whole foods here sells palm sugar, as does wilderness family naturals online.

7. KimiHarris says

Hi Coconut Gal!

I get my coconut sugar at Asian stores for very cheap. The raw honey I get is either local or through Azurestandard.com. My thoughts on Stevia? They are a little undecided right now, but it really does seem to be a safe herb and I do use it. Because I like to consume it in it’s “traditional” from, I always use a whole herb extract (liquid form, the ground leaf is terrible tasting for most uses, in my opinion). I also try to limit how much I use, just like any other sweetener, just because I figure historically is wasn’t ingested in huge amounts. πŸ™‚ Hope that helps!

8. tina says

By best tasting stuff ever, I mean raw honey in general. I’ve tasted a couple different kinds of raw honey and both were yummy.

Yum! I’m going to do a little experimenting with gluten free flours and see what I can come up with. Maybe a little vanilla coconut ice cream on top? Sounds like a perfect 4th of July dessert.
    Kimi, thanks for the Asian food market idea! I’m an American living in England and with no health food store close (I miss my Colorado sources) I have trouble finding some of my gluten free/dairy free staples. Went yesterday to the Asian market and scored big time! Still haven’t found coconut oil, but I’m getting closer.
    Cori

10. CoconutGal says

Thanks Kimi! I’ll be on the lookout at the farmer’s market this week for some raw honey. So I’ve been searching online and it sounds like palm and coconut sugar are the same thing- is that so? Just different names?
    I too think whole stevia leaf ruins things. Blehh!! It makes the entire dish taste like grass!

11. mandy says

If I were to use a gluten free flour (such as blanched almond or chickpea) would I still need to soak it?

12. KimiHarris says

Hey April,

It’s 350 degrees. Sorry if that wasn’t placed in an easy to spot place. πŸ™‚

13. KimiHarris says

Coconut Gal,

The names, Coconut and Palm sugar are used interchangeably. There are two types of trees that they can get sugar from, one being the coconut palm and another being just a palm tree? Something like that. So the studies of the low glycemic levels of coconut sugar have been done on the sugar from the coconut palm and haven’t been done yet on the other sugar. But, to be confusing, when you buy sugar, palm sugar can come from the coconut tree. Usually a package will say what type of tree it comes from, palm or coconut, so look for that.

I’ve really enjoyed reading through your blog…learning a lot. I’m pre-diabetic and am watching my sweeteners so I was happy to find the Navitas brand Palm sugar at Henry’s (Wild Oats elsewhere) locally here in So. Cal. I’m going to find an asian store to see if I can get it at a better price. I recently made a delicious frozen tart yogurt (very popular in So Cal now) from 1 qt. whole organic yogurt, 1/2 cup palm sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and chopped up fresh fruit – we’ve used strawberries and mango. We put it in the ice cream maker for about 20-25 minutes and had a delicious dessert.

15. jon w says

just put it in the oven. I have been off sugar for awhile, so no honey but I bet the cherries will be plenty of sweetness! I didnt have coconut flour so, borrowed a spoon of white flour from a neighbor, and threw in a bunch of fine chopped almonds and pecans, and a bit of coconut flakes. 5 big pats of butter on top.

Kimi, I finally got to making this over the weekend. Everyone loved it! My daughter requested it for her birthday cake later this month. πŸ™‚ I used sprouted spelt flour and raw goat milk, and half as many eggs and half the amount of honey. I know that sounds like I used 1-1/2 eggs, but I doubled the recipe, using 3 eggs for both clafoutis! Thanks for a great recipe. I’m going to be linking to it today and sharing a picture on my blog.

17. karen says

I just finished making this and it seems inedibly sweet. I checked the first version of the recipe and it had a 1/4 cup honey and this version had 1/2. I can tell this will be so yummy, I just need to cut back on the sweet. I used blueberries and added a 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Can’t wait to try again!

I found this recipe too sweet for me too, though my family liked it that way. LOL The reason the coconut flour version had less was because coconut flour is sweet all by itself. However, I think that several people have made it with half the honey and liked that result better (I think I would too!). Sorry it was too sweet for you!

18. Sarah W says

Is coconut tonic like “Light Coconut Milk?” Could I just use light coconut milk instead?

This looks so delicious!