Delicious and Simple: Lemon Garlic Drumsticks

ng_lemondrumsticks
These drumsticks are speckled with lemon peel, freshly ground pepper and garlic for a delicious flavor that is perfect for Spring. Throw that lemon garlic salt out (usually loaded with MSG) and taste the real flavor of lemon and garlic!

Drumsticks are a frugal meat cut, so it’s easy on the budget and it’s a quick main dish too. It takes just a few minutes to throw the marinade together, and then it’s just a matter of sticking it in the oven. A simple and nourishing dish that is really very nice.

Speaking of simple and nourishing, don’t forget about our carnival coming up! Please share next Thursday how you keep meals simple and nourishing.

And make sure you come back next week for more posts about lacto-fermentation too! I’ve loved getting everyone’s thoughts on my two posts about it so far! (Benefits and Comparison of Methods )

Lemon Garlic Drumsticks
Serves 3 (two drumsticks per person)

I’ve skipped the marinading time before and they are still wonderful without it. But they do have a more full flavor if you marinade longer. I’ve brought these twice on a picnic, and they were delicious cold too!

6 drumsticks (about two pounds)

Marinade:

2 teaspoons dry mustard
    3 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    Lots of freshly ground pepper
    Zest of one large organic lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
    Juice of about half of the lemon
    3 tablespoons olive oil

1: Combine marinade ingredients and mix well. Rinse and drip dry drumsticks. In a large ziploc or bowl place drumsticks and pour over marinade. Mix to combine well. Place in refrigerator, covered and marinade for a 2-12 hours.

2-When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place drumsticks in a small casserole dish and bake for about 45 to 55 minutes, or until done. The juices should run clear when pierced with a knife.

Enjoy!

Comments

I am wondering where you find pastured drumsticks. Do you have a farmer who sells just the drumsticks? The only chicken I can find that’s pastured around here is whole or halves. They look delicious, though!

I was wondering the same thing myself – although I am looking forward to using this marinade for an ENTIRE chicken before roasting. :)

3. KimiHarris says

Shannon and Meg,

I actually don’t have a source as of yet (yes, shockingly, I just use one step up chickens raised in small farms without antibiotics, though not pastured). However, some friends buy whole pastured chickens and cut them up themselves. It’s a lot of work, but they find it worth it!

I bet doing this marinade would be great on a whole chicken! I might try that myself! :-)

Kimi, This looks delicious and now I know just what to do with the chicken legs I bought at the store! Thanks for sharing your recipes. Also, I am enjoying learning about fermenting and your experiences.

Blessings,
    Debbie

5. KimiHarris says

Gloris and Debbie,

Thanks for your sweet comments! I am looking forward to sharing more about our fermenting adventures. :-)

6. Cristy says

Could you please update the eggplant and tomato curry recipe when you have a second? It keeps linking to the chicken recipe. It was so good and I have been wanting to make it again, thanks so much!!

7. JEN says

I just made this and it was delicious! In fact, all the recipes I’ve made from you are, thank you!!!!!!!!!

8. zoyi says

The link to the Delicious Eggplant and tomato curry also doesn’t work, it take me to the next dish. Oh, I noticed hadar already mentioned this. Hope you can fix these. thanks!

9. Ruby says

FABULOUS! Made these for dinner tonight (no skin though) and they were absolutely the best chicken I’ve ever cooked. Tender, juicy, and packed full of delicious lemon & garlic flavor.

10. Hope says

This sounds so yummy! I’m saving it for future use.

I wanted to tell you that I just found your blog over the last few weeks and am loving it. I am excited about your e-course this week. I really appreciate all the information you pass on and that it’s not “all-or-nothing”. When I first found out about WAPF and NT, I was overwhelmed and many sites out there are not friendly to newbies and make you feel bad if you don’t “do-it-all”. I am grateful for your step-by-step instructions and explanations for those of us trying to figure this all out and afford these changes.

Thanks for this recipe! My hubbie and I have been making quite a few of yours while we are on “The Maker’s Diet” and this has been our favorite one so far! Check our progress and which recipes we’ve used at:

leeannjoy.blogspot.com

12. Cindy C says

This was fabulous… super yummy! I didn’t have any dry mustard and it was good without it. I am new to Nourishing Traditions and because of health issues have started my real foods adventure. I am going to be a grandmother in a few months and am happy to share all I am learning with my daughter. I am hopeful the next generation will be well nourished! Thank you for sharing all you do.

13. Peggy Hurtado says

Where is your eggplant and tomato curry recipe?
    When I click on it I get the chicken drimstick recipe.

Kimi– this is delicious! We LOVED it! I used a combination of thighs and drumsticks, and baked them for half an hour at 400, then about 20 minutes at 350.

15. Sheyna says

I just used the marinade on my family pack of drumsticks and OMG does it have the kitchen smelling like heaven!!! really i think this is one of the best marinades ive used. going to have to pretend its mine;)

16. Monica says

I *love* this recipe! The flavor is really intense, a lot like the lemon pepper wings at Pluckers. I can only get whole legs from pastured hens. I just double the recipe. I’ve also made extra and frozen the legs so I can just pull out, thaw and bake. I also bake them on a rack so they get crispier. Thank you!

Another variation is to take a whole chicken; place a whole lemon and a few sprigs of rosemary in the cavity and bake as usual. Garlic cloves can also be added. Delicious!

18. Adelle says

This is soooo yummy!! To make it even easier, pop it in an oven bag to marinate, then when ready put it on a tray and into an oven. Easy and delicious :0)

I am actually commenting on your chicken broth post because the comment section was closed. I agree with you on the great health benefits of homemade broths and stocks. Other than the health benefits I love the comforting taste of a real chicken stock going into a homemade soup. We are going to make chicken stock tomorrow in fact. Thank you for the post and the pics are great as well.

20. Ashley says

I made this the other nite for the first time and it was soo good! Pretty easy as well. I’m going to try it on breasts next time only because I prefer breast meat. Would def reccomend this receipe.

21. Mary P. says

Thanks for this recipe! I made a pan of the Lemon Garlic Drumsticks and a pan of the Teriyaki Drumsticks tonight for dinner. They were a hit for the whole family, both kids and adults enjoyed. I have been needing something different and these hit the spot! The kitchen smelled wonderful and the flavor was yummy! Thanks Kimi, I appreciate you blog! Thanks for sharing your family-friendly, allergy-friendly and frugal recipes!!

I made these for our House Church last night and they were a total hit! Many people asked for the recipe, and I am happy to pass along your website! (Actually, every time I make something from your site for a group, people ask for the recipe! :)

Thank you again for all your work and for sharing these recipes!

Oh, and I bought a 10lbs bag of drumsticks from our food coop. Made for a happy crowd. :)