Decadent & Healthy: Chocolate Ganache Frosting

ng_ganache
This simple yet decadent “ganache” frosting features virgin coconut oil which gives it a great “mouth” feel, smooth and silky. Honey sweetens it for a classy natural taste. So simple, yet so good! If you use raw cocoa powder, coconut oil, and honey you will have a raw frosting!

It’s recipes like this one that explains why I can go through a gallon of coconut oil so quickly!  It’s a frosting you won’t feel bad about eating.

UPDATE: Check out the new Carnival tab on the top of my hope page! Don’t forget about the Simple and Nourishing Recipe carnival this Thursday! Hope to see you there.

It’s also a great recipe for those allergic to eggs. For a honey sweetened delicious frosting that does use egg whites for a super fluffy frosting, check out this frosting.

This would probably ice one batch of cupcakes or the top of a cake. I used it to frost some walnut cookies, recipe to come soon.

Oh, and this recipe is dairy, gluten, egg, and grain free, so there are many people on many special diets who can indulge without guilt.
ng_ganache2

Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Because this frosting is based off of coconut oil, it may start to melt in warm weather. Keep that in mind if bringing it on a picnic on a hot day. Since the frosting is more like the texture of a ganache, it makes a rustic frosting. Many use ganache for the filling between two layer cakes, and a fluffier frosting on the outside.You could definitely play around with the ratio of sweetener to make it less sweet for a more bittersweet chocolate ganache.

1 cup of cocoa powder
    3/4 cup of virgin coconut oil
    1/2 cup of honey
    dash or two of sea salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

1-Gently melt the coconut oil in a saucepan (you don’t want to heat it, just melt it)

2-In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients and pulse until well combined.

3-Scrape into a small bowl and place in the freezer or refrigerator until it has hardened to desired consistency. It took about 15 minutes in my freezer.

4-You can use a hand mixer to fluff the frosting up (you may need to do this if the frosting has become too stiff as well).

Spread on desired baked good and enjoy!

Chocolate Orange Ganache Variation: Add 1 tablespoon orange zest with the rest of the ingredients. Continue on with the rest of the directions.

This post is part of Real Food Wednesday! Check it out for more recipes and tips.

Comments

1. Jessica O. says

Kimi, Thank you for this great recipe! I can’t wait to try it. Right now we have two of your muffin recipes going for a little tea party we are having tomorrow with some friends. Thanks again for the great recipes & all your hard work.
    Blessings to you,
    Jessica O.

2. spencer says

This looks soo Yummy! I just want to thank you again for your healthy fudge recipe I make it quite often. I have started to add hemp powder in to make brownies and now it looks like I have a raw frosting to try with my raw brownies! Hopefully I don’t get heart palpitations from all the chocolate, but I’ll risk it:0)

3. KimiHarris says

Jessica,

I hope your muffins turn out well! :-) Thanks for the sweet comment.

Spencer,

Glad to know you have liked the fudge so much. It’s one of our favorites as well. This frosting is actually very similar to the fudge, and I am sure it would go great with some “raw brownies”! If you try it, let me know how it turned out. :-)

Wonderful! I’ve been looking for healthier alternative to traditional chocolate ganache. I bet this would make a perfect addition to a chocolate coconut cake recipe I like to use for birthdays.

No fair… I was all set to be extra healthy ! ;)

I showed this recipe to my mother, who said “So THAT’S why you like her site so much!” ;)

What a delight to find good icing recipes! I have a dairy and corn free child, which makes our special-occasion treats a challenge (like birthdays). This will help a lot.

Meg,

There is nothing wrong with some healthy frosting every once in a while, right? ;-)
    That’s so funny, what your mom said!

Gilliebean,

It depends. I’ve used a gallon in one month before! But usually I try to limit it using one in at least several months. Coconut oil can last up to two years, so it lasts a long time!

8. Julie says

Thanks for this recipe. I’m with you on being able to eat it straight. By the way, what is the cookie in the picture that has the ganache on top?

9. KimiHarris says

Julie,

It’s a walnut cookie! A perfect foil for the frosting. I will be sharing the recipe soon. ;-)

Nurturing Wisdom,

Yummy! I bet it would pair well with your muffins.

As always, you’ve posted a yummy looking recipe:) I’m in need of more coconut oil but can’t wait to try this. I would LOVE to have a healthy cupcake!

Whew! I’m quite relieved to hear you go through as much coconut oil as I do! I thought maybe I’d lost some when I last looked and my gallon was almost empty! Can’t wait to try this frosting.

12. Peggy says

Kimi,

I was wondering if in your research you have stumbled across anyone who ships coconut by the gallon to Alaska? We’ve been wanting to use more but it gets pretty pricey when you buy it by the pint or have to pay more for shipping than the coconut oil cost itself…

Thanks! Can’t wait to try this out w/ merengue cookies, or maybe add a bit of ground hazelnuts in order to spread on toast.

I will definitely be adding this recipe to my collection! It sounds wonderful…already thinking of everything I can frost with this!
    Thank you for sharing it with us!

14. KimiHarris says

Skye,

I am sure that Agave would work (though I no longer use it, so I haven’t tried it). :-)

LaDonna and Elana,

Thanks for the comments! It’s amazing how much more excitement we all have over frosting, then say a bowl of soup isn’t it! *smiles*

15. Jen says

I love the raw cacao powder from Navitas! I’ve used it to make your homemade chocolate “chips”, and brownies from the Heavenly Homemaker website. YUM!!! My husband tells me it’s the best brownie he’s ever had… gourmet.

I will definitely be making this frosting. Thank you so much!

16. Cori says

WOW! I am loving your site. My 6 month old son has recently been tested and found allergic to Peanuts, Wheat, Dairy, Egg and Soy (mold and our dog too). From this new diet and the elimination diet I was on before I went to the allergist I have lost weight and nutrition. I am enjoying your posts very much and I am awaiting the delivery of coconut oil. Yeah! Thanks for your great recipes!

17. Jen says

Oh my, that looks wonderful…………….. gonna have to make some soon – with or without cookies or cake! :-)

Awesome! Thanks! I’m gonna buy bulk now! I’ve been buying the $7 2-cup jars at Whole Foods. $37 for a gallon is a much better deal. Thanks!

19. Elena says

Kimi,can I use carob powder instead of cocoa? Also,how long will this ganache keep in refrigirator? Thank you for the recipe!

20. KimiHarris says

Amanda,

Thanks for letting me know! I’m honored.

Cori,

I am so glad that my blog has been helpful to you! It can be so difficult to adjust to a new diet.

Elena,

I am sure it would work. :-) I would think that this ganache should be good for at least a week if kept in the refrigerator.

21. MKallen says

The amount of carbs in honey (17g per tablespoon), combined with that kind of fat, mimics the macronutrient ratio of typical “junk” food. Your body sees the honey as sugar, whether it comes from the sugar plant gleaming white, or from a honey comb. There is a negligible difference, and very little scientific evidence to back up the “miraculous” claims of natural sweeteners. Saturated fat (yes, even coconut) combined with an insulin response is a lethal combo, to put it simply. Check out “Good Calories, Bad Calories” for more of the science behind how the carbohydrate/fat content of the diet affects health. As natural as it is, it’s not healthy. The coconut oil without the carbs is definitely good for you, though. Looks like a delicious treat, better than the transfat laden alternatives for sure. :)

KH: MKallen, thanks for the thoughtful comment. As with everything, there are always two ways to view things, and we are probably on different sides of this issue. :-) I do believe that there is a big difference between white sugar and a whole cane sugar, even though, if I remember right, whole cane sugar has the same insulin response. Insulin response is only one part of how our bodies respond to a food. White sugar strips nutrients from our body as it processes it, while rapadura has the necessary nutrients to process it. That means that rapadura is not a good choice for diabetics, but could be used in moderation for others. I think too much of anything is bad for anyone, moderation is key to sweets.

As far as fats and honey together, I always feel better when I have a high fat to sugar load. It doesn’t give me a sugar spike. For example, if I have a smoothie with fruit and not any fat, I feel like it spikes my sugar, but if I use coconut milk in my smoothie, I don’t get that. And I know that’s not just me. For that reason, I always try to combine sugar and fats together. I find it interesting that many traditional meals combined foods with a high glycemic index with fats (such as potatoes and cream).

Have you read Nourishing Traditions? I find many of her thoughts quite helpful on this issue.

Kimi,
    My 9-year old daughter and I made this recipe today. Wow! What a treat.

We celebrate my parents’ 40th anniversary soon. We’ll have family members present who cannot tolerate wheat and refined white sugar. This will hit the spot for all of us.

Oh. I didn’t have almonds or cashews on hand, so I used some pecan meal that I had in the freezer. The cookies turned out fine with that substitute.

23. diane says

Hi Kimi,

We started making your ganache frosting tonight and the food processor broke so we put everything in the blender but it didn’t work very well. We love the frosting and need to make it again next week for a birthday. Do you have any suggestions since we no longer have a food processor?

I recently found your site and can’t wait to try more of your recipes. Thank you so much.

24. CarolJoy says

WONDERFUL! I made the frosting tonight and it is delicious. I even did a dance in the kitchen it was so good. I used dutch chocolate and Agave instead of honey. I did add the vanilla.

Kimi,

I just wanted to thank you for posting this recipe. It really saved me (in a culinary sense) this weekend. I unexpectedly needed to make frosting, and I was almost out of butter. I was so upset until I found this recipe again…and it was perfect. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

26. Sarah says

I just made a “vanilla” version of this a few days ago (all your ingredients except the cocoa, since we were out) and it was so delicious and so satisfying! I need to avoid dairy while breastfeeding my newborn, who gets gassy and fussy otherwise. Googling for a dairy-free frosting brought me to your website. I love it! Thank you for posting all these great recipes. I can’t wait to try the original chocolate version of this frosting. Or should I make the fudge first. . . .

Thank you for this recipe! I found this recipe when searching for a chocolate icing for a chocolate coconut flour cake for my son’s birthday party. I love ganache, and this was AMAZING! I just mixed by hand and then used a hand electric mixer to fluff after it cooled in the fridge. It was so good and I can’t wait to try it with orange zest!! We are doing GAPS and it was so helpful to find a recipe like this that uses honey as sweetener. Thanks!

28. Anna says

Amazing!! I made this with butter instead of coconut oil (I used the last of ours in the chocolate sourdough cake) and then just poured it on top of the cake while it was still hot and liquid. I’m so excited to eat it. I “sampled” a spoonful … or two … before topping the cake, and then of course cleaned the bowl. :) Thanks for another excellent recipe!

Thanks so much for this recipe. I’m dairy free for the baby and it was nice to have a cake and icing that I could eat for my son’s birthday tonight. We added a couple tablespoons of almond milk to make it a little creamier. It was divine!

Oh and by the way,here in India we don’t have to melt coconut oil,its always in the melted state because of the heat..so will it be fine as the crumb coat or will it spoil the fondant..do let me know asap as Im going to make my first fondant cake for my nephews birthday

31. Jessica Johnson says

Question, how much does this produce? I only need enough frosting for like 2 dozen cookies so I was curious how much this made and if I should maybe cut it in half or something. Also could I use agave nectar in place of the honey? Thanks!