A Healthy Mother’s Day Brunch

ng_flowers

I don’t know about you, but Mother’s Day really snuck up on us! But it’s not to late to put together a healthy menu plan.  Here are some ideas I came up with.

With the weather warming up, and everyone turning away from heavy winter food, fruit hits the spot. Do a simple and beautiful fruit salad by combining fresh berries, melons, apples, oranges and bananas, or make a slightly fancier one with a honey sweetened yogurt lime dressing like this one from Epicurious.

Another fruit inspired special treat around my house is Fruit Juice Gelatin The warmer the weather gets, the more we love this!

A special vegetable, asparagus is made my favorite way in this recipe for Roasted Asparagus. It’s perfect for Mother’s day and in season too!

What’s a brunch without eggs? Keep it simple by scrambling up some eggs, or make some delicious baked eggs.

Apple Chicken Sausage make a great healthy meat addition to a brunch.

And, of course, muffins or biscuits are always nice. My Fluffy Whole Wheat Biscuits are one of my recent blog hits, and they are certainly popular around here!

Or, why don’t you whip up some pancakes? Basic Whole Wheat Pancakes are light and fluffy, despite being whole wheat, and Sourdough Pancakes are always a hit.

And if sweet pancakes aren’t enough for your sweet tooth, you can always make a delicious tart filled with Honey Sweetened, Tangy Lemon Curd, topped with fresh berries, or ice a delicious and healthy cake with Fluffy Honey Sweetened Frosting or Chocolate Ganache.

So there are some of my ideas for a Mother’s Day Brunch! What are some of yours?

This post is part of Fight Back Friday!

KimiHarris

Comments

We love Migas served with refried beans in lard. YUM.

Thanks for sharing these ideas in today’s carnival.

Cheers (& Happy Mother’s Day),
    KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

2. Rosy says

Michelle,

Cookies! Cookies always travel well. I would take some of that chocolate ganache and frost them once you got there. That way you don’t have as much of a mess.

3. KimiHarris says

Rosy,

I agree! Cookies do travel great! I also like your suggestion to save the frosting until there. Hmmm…..any other ideas anyone?

Mmmmm — migas! Kristen, you and I could die and go to food heaven together. I bet you love good Texas BBQ, too.

My mom came to town this weekend and we’ll be down in Orange County eating brunch by the beach on Sunday. On Monday, I’m going to take her to some of my favorite foodie places in Los Angeles — including Surfas restaurant supply and the local Indian spice store.

Hi Kimi –

I found your blog via Shirley’ GFE blog (she had a link to you).

I linked up your everyday salad dressing in my most recent post, hope you don’t mind, it just looks so good!

Mother’s day foods: fresh squeezed orange juice, breakfast baby green salad edible flowers, lemon poppy seed tea cakes (gluten-free), and eggs are what my mind has conjured up to be the ideal mother’s day breakfast brought to me in bed of course!

-Ali :)

6. julie says

I planned ahead (for once!) and made some delicious keifer sourdough Challah bread to make french toast with. The recipe is out of Wild Fementation by Sandor Ellix Katz and it came our absolutely gorgeous. I did use white flour for the bread, but wheat for the starter. It rose several times so all the phytic acid was diminished. I have never been so proud! We also went to a wonderful organic farm this afternoon and picked the most beautiful strawberries to have with the french toast. I am so excited for tomorrow! Thanks for giving me a place to share my breakfast. Happy Mothers Day!

Ali,

Thanks for the link! It’s always appreciated. :-) Yummy menu ideas. My mother made lemon poppyseed muffins growing up that were wonderful.

Marg,

Thanks! Aren’t spring flowers beautiful?

Julie,

That sounds wonderful! yum! Thanks for sharing.