Nourishing New Year’s Resolutions Carnival

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.

Benjamin Franklin

I hope that every year finds me a better woman. I hope that I may grow more patient, more loving, more kind, more joyful, and more peaceful at every passing year. I also hope that every year finds me a better nourishing cook, with new skills, recipes, and techniques to share first with my family, and then to you my readers.

Here are my personal goals for this upcoming year:

Sprout more

1-Find or create one new recipe using sprouted grain that we like well enough to have often

2-Find or create one recipe using sprouted beans that we like well enough to have often

3-Find one way of incorporating sprouted seeds into our weekly diet.

Eat more Seafood

1-Plan to serve some type of seafood dish one night a week, concentrating on low-mercury high nutrient seafood.

Nourishing My Adrenals and Feed my Man

1-Incorporate adrenal nourishing food into our daily diet

2-Research better ways to nourish Joel
___________________________________________________________

Now it’s your turn!

Bloggers, blog about what your nourishing goals are for the new year, including a link back to this post. Then send me an email at kimi.harris AT gmail.com. I will update this page throughout today to include links to you.

If you don’t have a blog, please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section.

For my tips on goal making, read this.

I look forward to being inspired by your goals for the new year!

The People Speak: Resolutions

Frugal Granola, Nourishing Resolutions

Ramblings of a Wannabe Housewife, Nourishing Resolutions for 2009

Chiot’s Run, Here’s to a Healthier 2009 for the Planet

Tamara, Nourishing (food) New Year’s Resolutions for 2009

Whole Food Cookin, My New Year’s Resolutions

Hartke is Online, Never Too Late to Make New Years Resolutions

Comments

1. cheeseslave says

By the way, I *love* sprouted beans and seeds. I’m totally addicted to them in salads. We get them at our local farmer’s markets — sprouted lentils are my favorite. Baby Kate LOVES sprouted peas.

2. Mrs. P says

I have a humorous entry on how my nourishing resolutions are turning out in my family. It just so happens that I even mention sprouts.

Mrs. P

3. Elizabeth says

Hi Kimi,
    Great Goals I have mine posted and link back to you. I sent you an email also.
    Thank you for hosting this.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

4. mommustwrite says

Have you tried sprouted hummus? There’s an easy recipe on Allrecipes (look up “raw hummus”).

Great resolutions!

5. Rosie -Home and Heartwork says

Hello Kimi,

I was actually inspired just last week to try sprouting lentils and seeds. I’m curious what “adrenal nourishing” foods are.
    Thank you for your blog. It is very helpful to me.

Rosie

6. Julie says

A good resource for instructions for and recipes using sprouted legumes is called: “Essential Eating” by Janie Quinn.

7. CHEESESLAVE says

Some foods that nourish the adrenals:

Maca

Good fats (butter, lard, beef tallow, duck or chicken fat, coconut oil, palm oil)

Egg yolks (for the cholesterol — which hormones are made of)

Licorice root

Foods high in vitamin C

You also need to make sure you are getting adequate iodine. Thyroid hormones are essential for adrenal gland function. The thyroid needs lots of vitamin A and iodine.

I get my vitamin A from cod liver oil and my iodine from Iodoral, which is an iodine supplement.

You also need to avoid caffeine and sugar and white flour (these put stress on the adrenals) and also avoid soy in all of its forms (soybean oil is in most everything these days so you have to read labels). Soy is a goitrogen and it suppresses thyroid function (it blocks iodine absorption).

8. Sarah says

Great carnival, and great resolutions, Kimi! I am also trying to focus on making at least one seafood-related dinner once a week (but forgot to mention it in my goals! :) and I look forward to hearing how your sprouting goes!

Best,
    Sarah

9. Kristen says

Thank you for hosting Kimi! I’ve emailed you my link.

We need to eat more seafood here too, I’m especially hoping to get more shellfish in.

It’s lovely and inspiring seeing everyone’s goals!

10. Chiot's Run says

Just found your site while searching for sourdough pancakes recipes and I love it. I’m currently reading nourishing traditions and plan to incorporate some things into our already healthy diet. We focus on eating local whole foods and no processed foods. I’m looking forward to trying your sourdough pancakes!

I too am making some changes to my diet in 2009, but they’re kind of an extension of 2008. Eating more locally & sustainably.