Mexican Roasted Potatoes

These flavorful potatoes highlight oregano, cumin, and garlic with a light kick from cayenne pepper. To finish things off, lime juice is splashed over the steaming hot potatoes, adding another layer of flavor. Delicious and flavorful they make a fun change from our usual Spanish rice.

You can eat these as a simple side, or you could also use them as a flavorful part of a more complicated Mexican dish.

Here are a few ideas.1-Wrapped in a burrito with black beans, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, and avacado. 2- Wrapped in a burrito with flavorful Mexican beef with your choice of toppings. 3- Use leftovers potatoes to add to scrambled eggs, and top with salsa. I am sure I am missing many ideas, but there are a few to get you started.

Another plus to this dish is that it’s a cinch to make, nourishing, and frugal too, (It’s also a great way to use up those spare potatoes not used for Thanksgiving’s mashed potatoes!).

Mexican Roasted Potatoes

By the way, the Dijon style mustard is totally not culturally accurate, but it adds a wonderful element so I couldn’t help add it in. You could add more heat by increasing the cayenne powder, for those who like things spicy.

8 medium potatoes, peeled and dice
1/3 cup of olive oil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (plus more to sprinkle on top)
freshly ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard

1 lime, juiced (or more to taste)

1-Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2-Combine all of the ingredients, except the potatoes and lime in a jar and shake to thoroughly mix ingredients (or whisk in a bowl).

3-Pour your diced potatoes into a jelly roll pan, and toss with the oil mixture. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.

4-Roast for about 40 minutes, until the potatoes are well cooked, and browning on the edges. Take out of the oven, and sprinkle the juice of one lime over it. Taste test, and add more lime juice or salt, if needed and serve.

This post is part of Works for Me Wednesday!

Comments

1. Michele @ Frugal Granola says

These sound delicious! Thanks, Kimi! It’s always fun to have new potato recipes.

Blessings,
    Michele

2. Anonymous says

These sound so yummy….we made up another version like this some time ago with olive oil, garlic & onion powder & a bit of other seasonings…they are good served as a side dish with pancakes & eggs….
    Thanks for the new recipe…can't wait to try them…
    Jessica O.

3. Kathleen says

Wow. Those look so good!! I’ll have to plan on making them soon!

Also wanted to let you know that I’ve linked to you in a post on NT that I’m working on. :)

Keep up the super blog.

4. karen@cook4seasons.com says

I love these and do something similar when I make Mexican chicken. Sometimes I add a touch of cilantro at the end – yum!

5. Kimi Harris says

Marybeth, Lynn, and Michele,

Thanks! I created this recipe when I was feeling uninspired one night to face another mex rice dish. Yum! We love them. :-)

Jessica,

Ooooh, these would be good as a side to pancakes and eggs. Thanks for the idea.

Kathleen,

Thanks so much for the link! It’s always appreciated. :-) Thank you.

Watercolor,

Sweet potatoes would be a great foil for the savory spices of this dish. Thanks for the suggestion!

Karen,

Yum, cilantro would be great. I was wishing I had some one hand when I roasted this up. Maybe next time…;-)

6. Mary (Mary's Nest) says

Hi Kimi,

Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe. I have been trying so hard to find recipes in which I can incorporate healing spices like cumin. These potatoes are great and my family gobbled them up. They are a great accompaniment with roast chicken. And I must confess – I took a little short cut and left the skins on…and the recipe still worked great.

Thanks again.

All the best,

Mary

7. Kimi Harris says

Mary,

I am so glad that you liked this recipe. Leaving the skins on is a great idea! More nutrition and less work. ;-)

8. Michaela Dunn Leeper says

These are DELICIOUS!!! I printed out the recipe when I found you about a week or so ago & finally got around to making them tonight. Everyone adored them. Just enough spiciness to keep the adults satisfied without making the kids gulp water! THNX!!!

9. Kimi Harris says

Michaela,

I am so glad that you enjoyed this recipe. We just had it again last night! Welcome to my blog, by the way. :-)

10. Linda says

Great idea! I’ve made steak fries similar to this. I had never thought of dicing the potatoes — my family would love those with breakfast!

I made these this evening to go inside scrambled egg breakfast burritos (made with sprouted grain tortillas, homemade salsa, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapenos, and raw cheese.) They were the PERFECT addition and absolutely delicious! My husband loved them, and by the way, I also did not peel the potatoes. The skins were nice and crunchy when roasted, plus I saved myself some work by not peeling them!

12. foodie12 says

These potatoes are extremely awesome! I made an extra big batch hoping there would be leftovers for breakfast and was I mistaken, my family polished these off in no time flat and whined for more. I am sure, these are good as there are and the smell they give off from the oven is heavenly, but I added extra garlic and cayenne and wasn’t disappointed. I will be making these more often. I also did not peel the potatoes. Great recipe.

13. ceacea golem says

yum…already to put together for dinner tonight with steamed tamales corn and green chili
    thanks!

14. Jill says

These are so good. I’ve made them multiple times since I found the recipe. I make some type of mexican dinner a few times a month and was looking for a side different than rice. We always have potatoes because we live in central Washington and this recipe is a great way to use them. I use yukon golds and the dish is delicious and so easy to put together!!

Exactly what I was looking for. I’m entertaining next week, Southwestern theme, Googled Mexican Roasted Potatoes and voila. Thanks for this post, it will go perfect with my meal.

16. Emily Una says

This recipe is awesome – delicious and easy! I left the skins on the potatoes and I added some chipotle chili powder to heat it up, otherwise made as directed. Fantastic!

17. Michele says

So glad I found this awesome recipe. I was making enchiladas for dinner, but my daughter, as a side, requested roasted cubed potatoes. Wanting to keep with the theme of the meal, I searched and found your delicious recipe. Love the Dijon mustard! I’m going to keep this recipe for a side for all kind of dishes, Mexican/Southwestern and otherwise. Thanks!