Nourishing Frugal Food Carnival

It’s time for the very first carnival to take place here at The Nourishing Gourmet. Welcome! I am excited to see what recipes you all have to share. Today we will be sharing main dish recipes. The motivation behind this carnival is to encourage those who are wanting to serve nourishing meals, but are limited by budget and food cost rises. We hope this carnival will be an encouragement to us all!

If you want to join in the recipe sharing fun, post a nourishing and frugal recipe on your blog, and include a link back here to this post. Then come and leave your name and recipe and URL in the Mr. Linky below. I will be leaving this post here for the rest of the weekend, so feel free to do more posts later in the weekend as well. The more the better!

If you don’t have a blog, leave your recipes in the comment section. We would love to have you share!

Finally, here are a few links to nourishing frugal main dishes, here, at The Nourishing Gourmet, to get you started. I decided to go ahead and post my new nourishing frugal recipe as a separate post and link to it using the Mr. Linky, at the bottom of the page to make things more simple.

12 Tips for Squeezing Nutrient Rich Food from Your Dollar

Lettuce Soup Garlicky White Bean Broth Rustic Lentil Soup Irish Lamb Soup

Greek Lemon Soup Crockpot Chicken and Red Quinoa Chicken and Soba Noodle Soup

Chicken Noodle Soup with Turkey Sausage Chili and Cornbread , Sourdough Pancakes

Make your Own Veggie Sandwich, Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce

Root Vegetable Cobbler with Millet Dumplings, Potato and Pea Soup with Lovage

Now it’s your turn!

KimiHarris

Comments

1. Kimi Harris says

Kelly,
    Thanks for being involved!

KatrinaD left this recipe in a comment to be part of the carnival. It looks like a great recipe! Thanks Katrina!

Here is a recipe for your frugal recipe carnival. This recipe comes from “More-With-Less Cookbook” by Doris Janzen Longacre
    I’ve been making this recipe for about 30 yrs. I’ve made it for company and my daughter makes it for her company on occasion. It’s quick and delicious. (Don’t leave out any of the spices.)

Pakistani Kima
    (an easy hamburger curry)

Saute in skillet:
    3 T. butter
    1 c. chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    Add:
    1 lb. ground beef
    Brown well. Stir in:
    1 T. curry powder
    1 1/2 t. salt
    dash pepper
    dash of each: cinnamon, ginger,
    and tumeric
    2 c. cooked tomatoes
    2 potatoes, diced
    2 c. frozen peas or green beans
    Cover and simmer 25 minutes. Serve with rice.

2. Teresa says

I forgot to add the name of my recipe to my link, but I posted Spicy Mexican Skillet Chicken. It’s one of our favorites!

Thanks for hosting this carnival!

3. annel says

Black Bean Burgers

4. c. soaked, cooked black beans, well drained
    1 onion finely chopped
    1 red pepper finely choped
    1 T. ground cumin
    1 T. chili powder
    2 T. chopped cilantro
    1/4-1/2 t. cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste

Mash black beans (I use my Kitchen Aid) and add remaining ingredients. Form patties and fry in hot oil 2 minutes/side. Serve on whole buns or in pita with lettuce, tomato slices and salsa.

I’m looking forward to trying some of your great recipes!

Ann

4. Trying Traditional says

Can’t wait to browse and find some new meal ideas! I wish I could post more, maybe over the weekend, but for now seven it is.

5. bigbinder says

I just want to say thanks for hosting this carnival. I am still learning to cook ‘this way’ and appreciate all of the good recipes I just found!

6. Jill says

Thanks for this idea! I’m always looking for cheap healthy meals that my family will eat. That is the whole point of my blog! I’m posting a link to my one-eyed egyptians but will be posting other stuff later this weekend.

Thanks!

Jill

7. Holli says

Just found your blog recently.
    I’m enjoying all of the great info.
    Thanks for the cheap healthy meal ideas.

Holli

8. Stephanie @ Keeper of the Home says

Lots of fun and yummy sounding recipes here, Kimi! Week 1 is a success! :)

That Kima Curry sounds really good- I’ll have to try that!

9. Lisa says

Great idea Kimi! My recipe is also from Doris Janzen Longacre’s “More-with-Less Cookbook.” That cookbook has been a favorite of mine for many years and is a must read for everyone who is interested in eating responsibly.

10. Julie says

I’m going to put our favorite casserole recipe in Mr. Linky!
    Here is another recipe. It’s for homemade taco seasoning with instructions to how I make soft tacos and there is a link to a homemade flour tortilla recipe as well. For me it’s a cheap recipe because those spices and flour and everything are already always in the house, so I just have to buy the meat. I like making things from scratch because I know exactly what is in it…

11. lalaine says

Hi! Great theme for a food event. I’ll be coming here often as I am certainly running out of ideas for hubby and daughter’s lunch bags!