Homemade Mayonnaise

For my last post in this series on eggs (Part one: Powerhouse of Nutrition, Part two: Herbed Baked eggs, Part three: Greek Lemon Soup, Part four: Spicy Scrambled Eggs), I have a great guest post by my friend Amy! When you are making homemade mayonnaise, eggs play a vital part. They are what bind and turn your oil into a creamy delicious spread. Yet another example of how diverse the use of eggs are.

The advantages of making your own mayonnaise are: 1- You control the quality 2-You can make a quality mayonnaise for cheaper 3-Connoisseurs say that homemade mayonnaise is so much better than anything you can buy

I, however, have not had the greatest success making it. So I was eager to learn from Amy when I heard that she made this every week. I am so glad that she graciously consented to do a guest post so now I can make a great tasting mayonnaise too. She went beyond just giving me her recipe but did a step by step demonstration for this post that is extremely helpful! Thank you so much Amy! (Isn’t it great how she does this with her adorable daughter?)

Making Homemade Mayonnaise
By Amy Best

I love this recipe, as it is super healthy, tastes yummy, is quick and easy to make, and is a fun thing to do with my daughter.

Equipment:

You will need a stick blender. I bought this blender in order to make my mayo, but have found it to be a great kitchen tool for many other things. I can puree my tomato soup right in the pot, and have found it to be very useful in pureeing things for my baby as well. It is super easy to clean, which is a big plus for me!

Ingredients:

2-4 egg yolks (I use farm fresh eggs from my local farmer)

½ tsp. mustard

1-2 Tbsp. lemon juice (of course fresh is optimal, but you’ll notice below I cheated with store bought stuff L )

1 tsp. balsamic vinegar

2 tsp. white wine vinegar

1 tsp. celtic sea salt

¾ c. oil- hemp or grapeseed (I use grapeseed)

1. Combine everything EXCEPT the oil. I use a container just large enough for the stick blender to go into.

2. Mix with a stick blender until creamy.

3. While blending, add the oil in small increments and mix until it’s homogenized. My daughter holds the container in place while I pour oil with one hand and with the other I lift the blender up and down as it’s blending- the quick up and down motion helps the mixture to homogenize, and it will thicken right up.

The finished product!

That’s it! This mayonnaise lasts about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Variations:

Add:

Onion or onion powder

Garlic or garlic powder

Soysauce

1 tsp maple syrup- smoothes the flavors

Extra balsamic vinegar

Pesto

Cayenne

Basil

Make salad dressings:

Crème fraiche (or sour cream) and dill

Mayonnaise with pesto

Mayonnaise with ketchup, onion, garlic, pickles, soy sauce- (thousand island)

Mayonnaise and/or crème fraiche with any combination of herbs and flavorings

Mayonnaise with crème fraiche and basil

-I learned much of this information from a class taught by Lauri Tauscher in Tigard, Oregon.

KimiHarris

Comments

1. S.B. says

Thank you for sharing. This sounds silly – but I never knew you could make your own. I am going to try it.

2. Kirstin says

Hmmmmm, maybe I’ll have to try this. I’m glad she included pictures because I had no clue what a “stick” blender was.

3. Rebekah says

I actually just made some mayo yesterday and it turned our really well. I would advise not using olive oil unless you just really like the taste or raw olive oil. I don’t and it was awful. I did however make it with canola oil(I know it’s not the best but I figure it’s better than soybean oil that’s in store bought mayo) and it turned our really good.

4. Candace says

According to Nourishing Traditions-it will keep a lot longer (months) if you add whey. Not that I’ve tried it, just read it.

5. Kimi Harris says

Watercolor,
    I haven’t actually made this recipe yet, so I can’t say from experience. :-) But I do know that, while you certainly wouldn’t eat it straight, most people like homemade much better.

Rebekah,
    I have also used olive oil and found it a bit strong. However, you should note that if you use any type of blender it will make your mayo bitter with olive oil.
    To prevent this, you have to hand stir it with a wooden spoon. I have done this before, and it probably did taste better, but was definitely still strong!

I understand from Amy that the oils suggested in this post don’t taste as strong as olive oil (which is why she uses them).

Candace,
    I have also seen that in NT. But both Amy and I can’t try it because we can’t have whey in any of our cooking (dairy intolerance) . So if anyone tries it, drop a note here and let us know how it went! :-)

6. Anonymous says

Okay, I am officially hooked on the nourishing gourmet! I tried the mayo recipe yesterday; it ROCKS!!!!!!! I am not even a mayo fan, my hubby is and we both loved it! Thanks for the great stuff!
    SuzeQ

7. Teresa says

I can’t wait to try this! I don’t have a stick blender, will a conventional blender work?

Teresa,

You can use a regular blender as long as it has a lid with a hole in the top. Blend the first ingredients together then remove the cap from the hole in the blender lid. With the blender running add the oil one drop at a time as slow as possible. It will have the same effect.

But like she said the stick blender makes for easier clean up. Good luck! :D

Wonderful!!!! I have made it a few times with olive oil and don’t mind the taste, but I was using the food processor and what a mess! I think that’s why I don’t make it very often. Why didn’t I think of using my handheld blender?? Plus it looks much creamier than mine. I can’t wait to try it and start making mayo every week too! Thanks!! BTW those variations look yummy! It’s been years since I’ve had Thousand Island! :)

I’m so glad I’ve found this. My family and I have been on a healthy eating mission for a while, and have really done well at dramatically increasing the amount of fruit and veggies we eat, and limiting our meat intake. The next thing on our list of healthy stuff to do is reduce the list of wierd chemicals that go into store-bought processed foods. I was just looking on the back of a jar of mayonaise and there’s a long list of things in there other than eggs, vinegar and oil. So I’m going to try homemade mayonaise to get rid of some of those chemicals. And its supposed to taste better, which is a great plus.

10. Debbie says

Kim, Just made mayo for the first time in my 56 years! Easy and delicious. I will never again buy mayo. I followed this recipe including the grapeseed oil. Not white like storebought, but with the balsamic it wouldn’t be. Husband likes it too, and he is Mr. Picky. Thank-you.

Thank you for this recipe – I’ve been trying to make mayo for a while but with no sucess – although that seems to come down to my oil-pouring technique. Finally have mastered it today with your recipe. very creamy! Lovely – I may have used a strong vinegar as it is a bit too vinegary for my taste, but perhaps also time will improve that. Love the matching alien aprons by the way.
    Jennifer

12. Valerie says

Hi, how would I make this lacto-fermented lard mayo? I have lard I rendered and kefir whey. Can you advise me?

Thanks!

13. Kerri says

Just made this…came out wonderful. It was a little thick so I put in just a dash of raw milk. I have made mayo in the past with olive oil and it tastes pretty bad. I didn’t have any whey made right now, but I can vouch for the fact that it makes things last much longer.

14. GloriouslyHomemade says

Well, I tried it and all I had was very tasty oil and egg mixture. I am certain this is (this) user error…will have to keep trying!

• bettina says

you have to add the oil very slowly at the beginning, drip by drip otherwise oil and eggs don’t combine.

15. Jacquelyn says

I really would like to make my own mayo. There is so much junk in the store bought stuff! even sugar, so baffling. The only problem is that I do not want to eat raw eggs, I know many people do however I am disgusted and gag. Can I heat it once it is thick or is there another way to cook it?
    thanks!

16. Ima says

Another huge fan of this recipe!!! Just had my first mayo success tonight! You have no idea how thrilled I am andhow thrilled my teenagedr is going to be tomorrow when I tell her that the long wait is over- MAYO IS BACK at our house. It will promptly be used for chicken salad ;-) Oh, and egg salad, and sammies and … ah, the options!!! Thank you kyndly.

I don’t have a stick blender, but went ahead and tried it with success in my small food processor…I was so happy to find this great recipe. We are going to make this recipe a regular in our home…and I’m excited to give the optional variation add-ins a try for making dressings with it as well…SO HAPPY!!!!

18. Lori says

I knw this is an old post bt just wanted to say that when I make my mayo in my blender it gets very hot and steamy so I’m guessing the eggs r mostly cooked like a pudding or custard. It takes me a good half hr to incorporate all oil and it’s steaming for at least half of that time.

19. Tom Macpherson says

Thanks a lot for this awesome recipe! And what’s better is I have almost all the ingredients so looking forward to giving it a go! Thanks

DO you have any thoughts on the pros/cons of grapeseed oil? Is it better raw (like this) vs baked/sauteed….. better in small moderate amounts….. saw a comment on another post here that it is rather high in Omega6, hence the concern in using….. thanks!

I finally got around to making this since seeing the recipe in September and we LOVE it. This will be made every two weeks for sure if not sooner.

I’m going to do it! Thanks! Any word on the safeness of using raw eggs in this? What would happen if I brought them up to temperature in a double boiler first. Hmmm, I might have to experiment with this for safety’s sake.

You’ve got the right line of thought Lisa. The trick to getting around getting eggs over 140 degrees to kill off bacteria is to add an acid (which is convenient considering the recipe calls for lemon juice anyway… which would work well for this). This increases the temperature at which the eggs would start to cook. A quick search found a tutorial that mentions how to accomplish this pretty quick with a microwave, a bowl, plastic wrap, and a few clean forks… here’s the link:

I definitely look forward to trying this sometime in the future myself, I’ve never considered making my own mayo. :)

Thanks for the instructions and info on mayonnaise. I have been trying to find a healthy option for my daughter who is on the GAPS diet and was glad that you addressed it in your book, which I purchased through the Homemaking E Bundle.
    Blessings,