Pasta with Creme Freshe and Salmon

It can be hard to try to do a “last minute” meal, when you are trying to practice healthy cooking habits such as eating whole foods and soaking grains. Regardless of how good you are at planning out your meals, eventually there will be a day when the ball was dropped and there is nothing ready or planned. I like to have brown rice pasta on hand for these type of nights.

Brown rice doesn’t contain as many phytates as other grains and is more easily digestible, so using brown rice pasta instead of whole wheat pasta is a better choice. We love Tinkyada’s brown rice pasta. I have served it to guests with no one even noticing it was different once a nice sauce was poured over it. There are many ways to do a nice, last minute meal with pasta, so it’s great to have a healthy source for it.

The following recipe was something I created out my cupboard/fridge when I needed a last minute meal. But we liked it so much, I think it’s going to be a “planned” meal now!

I used Henry and Lisa’s Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon, which, by far, has been the nicest canned salmon I have tried. It’s extremely mild (no “fishy” taste here!), caught using enviromentally focused practices, and is deep chilled within minutes of being caught (which explains the great taste!). Even my 18 month old daughter would eat it. You could also use fresh salmon and bake or grill it.

This pasta was a little “plain Jane” in looks, so for more eye appeal, use fresh herbs.

Pasta with Creme Freshe and Salmon

16 ounces of pasta
3-4 tablespoon butter
1 onion, chopped
1 cup of broth
1 heaping teaspoon of dried basil
1 heaping teaspoon of dried thyme
1/4 cup of creme freshe, or sour cream
1 can of Wild Alaskan Salmon
salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in large sauce pan and add chopped onion. Cook over med-high heat until onions are soft and slightly browned. Add broth, herbs (run dry herbs in your hands to release more flavor) and salmon. Simmer for a couple of minutes to reduce slightly and add creme freshe or sour cream. Salt and Pepper to taste and pour over drained pasta. Easy, healthy, and tastes good! What more can you ask for?

Comments

1. Stephanie @ Keeper of the Home says

That sounds very much like the type of white sauce and salmon that I will often whip up to go with pasta, although I often add some raw cheese to ours as well, and usually use raw milk instead of creme fraiche. I’ll have to give your recipe a go next time. It’s funny, though- I consider it a quick “convenience” meal too!

We are also very into Tinkyada brown rice pasta- it’s the only pasta we buy! I try not to serve it too often since realizing it is not ideal, but it sure does make for an easy meal once in a while. Our favorite is the spiral noodles, and every once in a while I splurge and make lasagna- so yummy!

2. Kirstin says

THis sounds good. I haven’t tried rice pasta yet. Mainly just whole wheat, maybe I”ll give it a try.

3. sandy winz says

Hi! I order from this place all the time and am very pleased to share. They have great kosher organic and natural food products including Tinkyada Rice Pasta.
    Here is a link http://www.wholeandnatural.com
    Enjoy!!!
    p.s. I used a code try if it works for you bldc08

4. Peggy says

Thanks, I’m always looking for quick meals that are also healthy, especially seafood (my favorite)!

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Shiratake MiracleNoodle, or knows anything about it? It sounds too good to be true, and I’m not sure what it’s made of or if it’s healthy. I’d try it if it is as good as it seems.

Blessings!
    -Peg

5. Heather says

We use brown rice pasta, because DH and gluten are not friends, but why is Tinkyada better than the VERY reasonably priced brown rice pasta at Trader Joes?

Heather,

This post was written before we had a Trader Joe’s in our area. We actually now use Trader Joe’s brown rice noodles and appreciate their low price.

6. Anne says

Hi Kimi, we use pasta a decent amount in our weekly cooking and I’ve been buying Ezekiel 4:9 Organic Sprouted Grain Pasta from Amazon (man I love Amazon!). While our whole family (even my boys ages 6, 4 & 3!) loves the flavor of this pasta, the texture is quite rough. I know and love the health benefits of sprouted grains but am curious as to TJ’s brown rice noodles. Can you give me a quick description on the texture/flavor? Much appreciated and love your blog!

• Joanna says

Anne,

I have tried the Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted pasta (spaghetti style), and I agree it is qutie dense. My 4 year old daughter, doesn’t care for it, and says she likes “Papi’s spaghetti” (white flour regular pasta) better. But she will eat the noodles uncooked, go figure! I use Trader Joe’s brown rice pasta, and she has no idea it is not “regular” pasta. It is very close to semolina white flour pasta of all the alternatives (sprouted, spelt, whole wheat, etc.) in texture and flavor. Hope that helps!

I made this sauce to go over whole wheat pasta that I had already in the fridge with fresh herbs (just because I have them in the garden) and Mexican crema (again, because it was in the fridge). Delicious! It is definitely going on my list of pasta sauces from the pantry!

8. Pippi says

I just made this with a cup of cream because I didn’t have any broth or creme fraiche. It was great! My 2 year old gobbled it down (okay, she’ll gobble down any pasta because it’s a treat around here). It was the perfect meal for a day when Daddy was away on a business trip and Mama was tired from being almost in her third trimester. I forsee this dish being made again as my pregnancy continues and I get more tired!